Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Shack

My husband and I love to read. Although the subject of our reading greatly varies. He likes scary, weird books (Stephen King), while I like books about puppies, sunsets & rainbows with happily every afters. I've been reading "The Cat Who" book series by Lillian Jackson for several years. I almost have all of the series. They are mystries but not scary or too graphic. It is the perfect read for times when you don't want to really think to much, just enjoy a stroll through a book. I also like Self-help books or books that will help me grow closer to God.

Anyway, my hubby is always trying to get me to read a book he's just read and says how good it is. And the bad/scary (or whatever) parts aren't that bad. I try to tell him I just don't like to read about serial killers, mass murders and such. For some reason my brain hangs on to that morbid info and thinks about it and dwells on it until it's got me all wigged out. So the last 3 books he has asked me to read I have politely said ok.. and then put aside hoping he wouldn't notice.

So the other night, my husband just finished reading The Shack. He just went on and on about what a good message it had. He said I just have to read it. So I started asking some questions about it. It is a christian fiction story, based losely on factual events. And the story starts out where a father's daughter is kidnapped and murdered by some serial killer. He tries to tell me that that is just a small part of the book...........well that is horrible, why would anyone want to read a story like that. But he really thought I would like the message of this book and really wanted me to read it. So since I've said no to so many others, I thought I will read it for him. So today I got to the part where the daughter was kidnapped & murdred. And I have been crying ever since, and I have a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. WHY am I so sensitive. I know this kind of thing happens in life, but why when I get into a story about it I am so affected by it. This tragedy happens while they are camping. Something we do every summer... I immediately think "well we are never taking our daugther camping". What a mess a book can make of me... I really hope this story is worth the way I feel right now. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Lisa F (NJ) said...

So, have you finished the book???? I love "The Cat Who" series and I also have (I think) all of them. They are a very cute little fluffy read. I also love "The Mitford" series from Jan Karon, you may want to check those out.

Are we in China yet????? We are getting closer, I really think it will be this year!!!!!

Take care, Lisa